Monday, March 7, 2011

Is the color green the same as the color black?

     When it comes to different shifts throughout the day I have to say closing at night is amusing. Every night when closing I have to do all the paperwork and organize all the tickets and clean up. This seems like a pattern right? But why is it everytime I close something goes wrong and people continue to prevent me from closing in time.
     When people hand me their scratch offs usually they won or they weren't sure if they won the game. When I check the ticket with the machine the answer is always accurate. It's funny when customers argue with you considering the machine is always right and once again they're wrong.
     A customer approached me one night and asked me to check her ticket. I put it through the machine and she won $2  but she claims it was supposed to be $4. I checked the instructions of the game and also explained how the machine is always right and thats what she won. She then asked to explain how to win but I showed her in order for her to win that specific scratch off and to win the amount she thought she won then she would have to have a green seven. She didn't have a green seven and thats why she only won the amount shown. Apparently I was wrong and the seven was green and not black. She continued to argue how she knows it's green because its "bold". I stuck with my argument considering the machine is always right and then she started to show other customers the ticket. Customers agreed with me and said it was black not green but she ended up asking if she can buy the ticket back. I thought to myself why would she buy it back with money she just won? Eventually she stopped trying and she just gave me a look, then started walking.
     Many little things go on when closing and it never makes sense why they always happen at that moment and not any other time of the day. Whether it's people dropping their tickets underneath a vending machine, someone staring me down hoping I would open just for them to check tickets or just people who decided to cash their big tickets at the end of the night. That one is my favorite considering you have all day to do that but now it's a good time? People are just upset by not being right and apparently the machines are always wrong. I would love to say it's rare to have a customer argue about their results on a ticket, but it happens everyday!

1 comment:

  1. People who are in places with vending machines are often grateful that there is a vending machine close enough to allow them to get a quick snack and then continue with whatever else they were doing.


    vending machines

    ReplyDelete